Skip to main content

A Love Letter:

To my lady soulmate,

Today you are 27 years young. And if you are 28, let’s not talk about it. Let’s stop keeping count okay? You are more vibrant, sweet and funny than you were yesterday. My beautiful sister, friend and soulmate. You are an essential piece of my heart. 


We have grown up together in ways most people don’t get to. In the 7th grade you had the world by the balls. And if you didn’t, you sure had everyone fooled. You were fearless and gorgeous and hysterical. An absolute force. A magnet. You were/are my hero. 


I have wrinkles engraved on my face purely from the gut wrenching laughter you’ve gotten out of me. The amount of sore abs I’ve had from you making me laugh heavily outweigh the amount of sore abs I’ve had from working out. You bring me to tears. You are the most hysterical human I know. 


I never want to go a month or year without talking with you. I find myself wishing you were my neighbor. Not so I could annoy you every single day but so I could squeeze you, see you, laugh with you, cry with you whenever I needed. So I could see you on your way to work every day and shout “Have a good day! Love you!” from across the street. My wife with her own life. 


I’m so proud of you. This eccentric, bright, intelligent, fierce human. You are your very own, and you are brave and strong. I love the way you voice your thoughts and opinions, so articulate. Every time I’m with you I learn something new and walk away filled with glee. You inspire and help me to be better and I’m sure the people in your life could undoubtedly agree. 


My lady soulmate, I hope we grow old together. I hope we raise children side by side, have sleepovers well into our old age, drink lots of wine, travel the world and laugh until we cry for the rest of our days. My partner in crime, I love you. In this crazy world there’s a very short list of what I’m sure of. One things for sure, you and me are forever. Happiest of birthdays to you my little queen. Can’t wait to spend it with you. Love always, your Kaila. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Choose Meat

Today I watched not one, but two bunnies get butchered. I watched because of respect. Being a meat eater, but also choosing not to eat beef, and wanting to be more conscious of what I'm eating and where it comes from. I watched because of knowledge. If I'm going to raise rabbits and sell them as meat rabbits (inevitably), I want to know what their death may look like. I watched because of choice. Choosing to eat meat over the years, I never put much thought into it. I'm such an animal lover and have thought I would become a vegetarian at times, but it honestly sounds so ridiculous to me. Especially when I think back to a time of hunters and gatherers. But, my point being that if watching a rabbit being butchered didn't turn me into a vegetarian it will make feel better about eating meat at least. So, did I gain anything from this or did it feel plain satanistic? As the man put it, "I'm no satanatist". I didn't get any joy out of watching

CHANGE.

 CHANGE. A word that surrounds me, invites me. A word that terrifies most. Inevitable, isn't it? What is it with the people around me who are so enraged, insulted and scared of my CHANGE and their own? Why are the people I know, who are the most miserable people I know, the ones who don't embarce CHANGE? It makes perfectly good sense though. The people who bitch and complain of their circumstances, but do nothing to CHANGE them. And that is why they are miserable. A powereful word that loses its meaning the more we repeat it. What is it? Who is it? Why is it? How is it?  CHANGE, to me, is a beautiful word that ebbs and flows like the ocean. CHANGE, to you, is a daunting word that has dramatic high and lows like a rollercoaster. Why is that? Suppose it is because we are both used to it. I've become fond of it and you've become sick of it. CHANGE is the difference between you and I. I love it, I seek it. I look at every CHANGE in life as a positive opportunity to pivot. B